Playa del Carmen Collectivos
- A collectivo is a public transport van that runs up and down Highway 307 from Playa del Carmen to Tulum. The fare is about 25 pesos. You may get on or off of the van at any points in between.
- In Playa del Carmen, you may catch the collectivo at the stand located at 2nd Street (Calle 2) between 15th and 20th Avenues.
- On HWY 307, you catch the collectivo right on the side of the highway.
- Yes, you really catch the collectivo by standing right on the side of the highway. When the van starts approaching, the driver will flash his lights on and off if there is enough space in the van for more passengers. Just wave, and the driver will stop. If there is not enough room, the driver won't flash his lights. Keep waiting, the vans run by every 10-20 minutes.
- When you get in the van, just tell the driver your destination and take a seat.
- You pay your fare to the driver as you exit the collectivo.
I do believe the correct spelling is colectivo, although it seems common to spell it with the extra L, on the internet. Pronunciation
Check out the Spanish Guide for a large list of useful phrases to help you get around the Mayan Riviera.